Start the New Year with a good walk!
21st December, 2022
January is National Walk Your Dog Month. This is a great opportunity to set yourself small targets to get out and about more walking with your furry friend. This will not only improve the health and wellbeing of your furry friend but you too! It’s also a great way to bond with your pet, provides mental stimulation and helps create good habits.
Regular walks and exercise can help control your dog’s weight and limit the chances of them becoming obese. Our furry friends need walking all year round. Start with shorter walks during the colder months, frequently if necessary for your breed, building up to the longer ones for when the better weather arrives.
Before you say the word most of furry friends love to hear ‘walkies’, here are a few things to consider:
- Wear brightly coloured or reflective clothing, collars and leads.
- Stay in well-lit public areas
- Ensure your furry friend has access to plenty of fresh clean water, on a long walk and afterwards.
- During these colder months, protect your furry friend’s feet from the elements - ice, snow and de-icers and grit can all cause sores to sensitive paws and pads. Be sure to wash these after a walk.
- Make sure your dog is warm enough – particularly if young, old or with a condition such as arthritis.
Most of all, enjoy and blow away those January blues!
Pet Insurance Quote
- 98% claims paid *
- Claims paid directly to vet
- 24/7 vet video consultations
- Interest free monthly payments